Route from vehicle points

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
krzysiek mbis

Route from vehicle points

Post by krzysiek mbis »

Hi,
I’ve a question from my customer (Transportation company).
Before Vehicle starts its tour (let say: with two points only), customer checks it on PTV. Then he knows how many km and what are the costs of this route.
After this tour, customer has a few thousand of geopoints in our database (these points are from our Telematic).
And he would like to set the route using this geopoints. The goal is to have it exactly the same (metre by metre) as vehicle did it.
The purpose is to have a real route costs.
And of course i know that a few thousand via points in one route is not a good idea, but can I do it somehow to beglad my customer needs?
Krzysiek Paziewski
.Net Developer/Team Leader at Marcos Bis
Katowice, Silesian District, Poland
Joost

Re: Route from vehicle points

Post by Joost »

Feeding thousand of point into xRoute is not a good idea. Not because the xRoute can;t handle them, but because due to GPS inaccuracy they probably sometimes are on a wrong road. Feed you point through xMapmatch first and then use the result to do the routing.

Do you only have the coordinates or by any chance also the time of recordig, heading and/or speed?
How often do you record a position from the vehicle?
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Kris,

as Joost already described: xRoute is used to calculate a route which will be driven in the future.
For those who collected GPS coordinates of a “historical” route we offer tha MapMatching module
There's a subforum dealing with this and Joost is a brilliant expert when it comes to MapMatching (and many other topics, too - by the way)
https://xserver.ptvgroup.com/forum/view ... ?f=8&t=763
https://xserver.ptvgroup.com/forum/view ... ?f=8&t=861

I strictly recommend to evaluate Joost's fabulous testclient, too

Currently our development team is designing the xMapMatch2 and I already saw some prototypes – looks fancy.
So if it is urgent : look at xMapMatch1
If you can wait for 2.18/2.19 : evaluate xMapMatch 2

I will also drag our MapMatching expert's attention to your post,

C u / Dzien dorbe,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
krzysiek mbis

Post by krzysiek mbis »

Joost wrote:Feeding thousand of point into xRoute is not a good idea. Not because the xRoute can;t handle them, but because due to GPS inaccuracy they probably sometimes are on a wrong road. Feed you point through xMapmatch first and then use the result to do the routing.

Do you only have the coordinates or by any chance also the time of recordig, heading and/or speed?
How often do you record a position from the vehicle?
I have the coordinates and the time.
Krzysiek Paziewski
.Net Developer/Team Leader at Marcos Bis
Katowice, Silesian District, Poland
Joost

Post by Joost »

I would suggest xMapmatch profile wise you pick the sparse-signal as standard but do adjust the following values:

Mapmatching / Weights / @headingDifferenceRatingMinimum = 0
Mapmatching / Weights / @headingDifferenceRatingNormal= 0
Mapmatching / Weights / @headingDifferenceRatingMaximum= 0

Mapmatching / GeometricDeviations / @maximumHeadingDifference = 360

This to get around the fact that you do not have heading values. Alternative is that you calculate the heading yourself, but that only works well for really dense signals (you can test it for yourself but i usually only do this for 10 second intervals or shorter between measurements)

When sending input point do make sure you pick a speed value that is higher then Mapmatching / GeometricDeviations / @standstillDetectionSpeedThreshold . I would pick 18 for long routes, 12 for shorter routes (guestimates).
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

I recommend to continue this tuning discussion in the MapMatch forum ;-)
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: